Reading Notes: Classical and Biblical, Reading A

As I've said before, I am not too sure if I am writing my reading notes correctly but since the notes are subjective to the individual I guess there's no right and wrong way to do it. I still have yet to figure out a good note-taking method that works for me to refer back to when I go to write my own stories. I find that I don't really look back at my notes but I actually just go back to the actual story when it's time for me to make my own. It's probably just because these stories are shorter though, when it comes time for longer ones I won't be able to do that so easily.

1. Saints and Animals: Saint Comgall and the Mice, Part A, by Abbie Farwell Brown (1900).
Contrary to the title, this story section was about Saint Comgall quickly befriending swans. The way the story was written was in kind of a humorous tone, which is not something I would have expected from a story about a saint. Saint Comgall seems like a friendly, jocular person who has fun with both humans and animals.

2. Saints and Animals: Saint Comgall and the Mice, Part B, by Abbie Farwell Brown (1900).
This story was much more serious than Part A. I didn't mention it for the last part, but I like that the stories incorporate the symbolization of names (how Comgall means "the goodly pledge" between human and and animal in Part A, how "Luch" means "the Mouse" in Part B) and that the names' meanings play a part in how the story actually plays out.

The name symbolism really caught my attention so I may try to incorporate that in my stories just to link everything together. Again, I enjoy the animal aspect in stories so I will definitely be incorporating animals in my stories.

Saint Comgall and Mouse. Source Blogspot.

Bibliography:
Book of Saints and Friendly Beasts by Abbie Farwell Brown (1900).

Comments

Popular Posts