Feedback Strategies

The two articles I read on feedback strategies were What Kinds of Messages Help Kids Grow? and The Difference Between Praise and Feedback. I found it interesting that in the first article, it mentions the "growth mindset" and the "power of yet" that we also had to read about in the past weeks. Both articles talk about how we should give praise that pinpoints the person's choices and efforts, called "process praise" or "non-generic praise". By praising them for their decision-making and efforts it praises their self-worth rather than just what they did and therefore motivates them to want overcome future setbacks rather than giving up just because they didn't do a "good job".

I agree with the two articles because I have noticed the positive reactions from "process praise" myself. In my blog post about the "growth mindset" I talked about how my parents personally didn't foster that concept into raising me, but that I had to develop it myself. I believe that if my parents had praised me for my choices and efforts rather than whether or not I received the end result, I would have wanted to take more attempts at things rather than just giving up when I could see I wasn't going to achieve what I wanted. These are definitely important concepts I want to remember in bringing up my own children in the future.

Charlie Brown "Good Job" Gif. Source: Tenor.

Comments

Popular Posts