Week 8: Reading and Writing

Overall, I think the reading and writing assignments have been working well for me. There are some weeks where the stories I had picked out to read, while enjoyable, are hard for me to pull from to make my own stories. This past week for example when I read about How the Rabbit Killed the Lion, I barely changed it up when I wrote my own story, I just transformed the animal characters into humans and then made the "Rabbit" character king afterwards.

Regardless, I am fairly happy with my blog and my project website. I think it helps that for the project website we were given the option to do a portfolio instead of just a storybook too. I can see how it would have been very tolling to myself to have to stay on one consistent story track, especially if I am all out of creative juices.

I think my biggest accomplishment in my writing for this class would be my Moon Man, Shine Bright story on my portfolio. It was the first story I had ever written for this class and so I guess it was when I had the most creativity bottled up in me to release. With multiple revisions, it is one of my favorite stories I have ever written and I am super proud of it.

Harvest Moon. Source: NASA
I chose this image because it shows the moon, correlating with my Moon Man story. I also thought the colors in the photo were very calming and pretty, and it is refreshingly different from all the other moon pictures I have used before where it is a simple black sky. 

My favorite reading in the class so far has got to be How the Dog came to Live with Man. I might be a little biased since the reading was about dogs, and I love dogs, but the story itself was very interesting and entertaining for me to read.

The reading notes have been somewhat helpful to me with my weekly story posts. I still feel like I am not writing them as effectively as I could be. I am mainly just summarizing the story so that I can quickly refer back to different points the original story made, but I still find myself referring back to the actual story on some occasions instead of my notes. I think it is hard because I never know exactly what details I am going to need when I go to write my story, so I just adjust along the way. I do not think I am going to change how I have been writing my reading notes however, just because it has been working just fine thus far.

Looking forward, I am excited to see what other stories there are left to read and I am curious to see what sorts of stories I am able to come up with in reference to those new stories. I think I am satisfied with the reading and writing experience this class has offered me so far, so I do not have any further ideas on how else to enhance my experience.




Comments

Popular Posts