Reading Notes: Classical and Biblical, Reading A

As this is the only the third week and the second time I will be taking reading notes, I'm honestly still not sure what I'm supposed to note and what not to. While this class is very straight-forward, I guess I get confused on what's expected of me to do because there so much freedom so I hope I'm doing it correctly.

1. Saints and Animals: Saint Blaise and His Beasts, Part A, by Abbie Farwell Brown (1900).
Immediately, I knew I wanted to read this story because it starts off stating that Saint Blaise loved all animals and they all loved him right back. Being an animal lover myself, I knew I made a good choice in picking a reading. Saint Blaise was a very kind-hearted character, and while being a Christian was dangerous in his area he confidently remained true to his beliefs.

2. Saints and Animals: Saint Blaise and His Beasts, Part B, by Abbie Farwell Brown (1900).
In comparison to Part A, this continued section was darker. I thought it was interesting that the animals were so devoted to Saint Blaise that even when the soldiers came up to his cave they just sat there and stared because they didn't want to disturb his prayer, and how when the soldiers had captured Saint Blaise the animals moaned and wailed.

My take from this story would be to perhaps make the main character of my own story someone who was confidently themselves in spite of popular belief. I also really liked how devoted the animals were to this one person, so maybe in my own story I will have something to reflect that too.

Bibliography:
Book of Saints and Friendly Beasts by Abbie Farwell Brown

Source: Orthodoxy for Kids

Comments

Popular Posts