Reading Notes: Classical and Biblical, Reading B

1. Saints and Animals: The Fish Who Helped Saint Gudwall by Abbie Farwell Brown (1900).
This story was cute since all the fish joined to help build a sand barrier for Saint Gudwall to be able to live in his cave without the sea tide bothering him but I guess I personally wished he had more of a direct interaction with the fish. He only knew the fish had helped him because he saw a great bluefish swim away into the ocean.

While I enjoy the idea of animals helping mankind, if I were to write a story similar to this I would make the interaction between man and animal more direct.

Bibliography: Book of Saints and Friendly Beasts by Abbie Farwell Brown (1900).

Saint Gudwall, no. 9 from Trophaeum Vitae Solitaraie.
Source: Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco.


Comments

Popular Posts