Feedback Thoughts

The two articles I decided to read about were Why Rejection Hurts So Much and Neil Gaiman's Advice on the Creative Life.

In reading the first article, I found it interesting that our response to rejection comes from our ancestors' primitive needs for survival, and also that our response to rejection is literally physical and not just emotional. The author, Guy Winch, gave three ways on how to curb the negative reactions to rejection: have zero tolerance for self-criticism, revive your self-worth, and boost feelings of social connection. In relation to my own experiences, these methods are easier said than done. When someone is really at their low-point, coming up with five qualities they have that are important or meaningful can be really challenging, and often times for me I actually end up coming up with twenty more qualities I have that bring me down. This is why it's important in the way we bring up children to emphasize that being rejected is OK (and side note, that rejecting people is OK too) and that we shouldn't let it define us.

In Neil Gaiman's article, he talks about embracing mistakes and to not worry about what you're doing but just to do it. I really like that approach and I believe that that mentality is a wonderful one to promote to children and that it's not too late to promote it to everyone else as well. However, like the last article, the older you are with a negative mindset the harder it is it to change it, so it's best to start it while you are young.

Overall, even though I tend to have a pessimistic view on things and a lack of self-confidence, I'm open-minded enough to accept new ideas on change and I do believe that these articles promote a healthy mindset on how one should take feedback, whether it be negative or not.

Source: Flickr.


Comments

Popular Posts