My Storybook Favorites

After repeatedly refreshing the assignment webpage for a fresh new selection of storybooks to choose from, these were three that I ending up liked the most:

1. Women in Constellations. This story captured my attention because it was about constellations. Stars were always something I have been fascinated by, and even now when I am out at night I always try and point out certain constellations in my head. I like that this story is told by the ladies of the constellations themselves and that at the bottom of each section the author's note sums up the real story. It lets you see both sides of the narrative.

2. Kindergarten Shenanigans. I really enjoyed this storybook because it was like taking a trip back to the past, when you were a kid and everything was simpler. It recreated the same warm, comforting energy story time gives any child, and overall just made me feel a nice nostalgia inside. The fact that each story included a lesson to learn from connected everything together as well, as most if not all children's stories include a teaching to take from it. The author's straightforward writing made it an easy piece of literature to sit back, appreciate, and reminisce on.  

3. Toto's Adventures in Oz. I was immediately attracted to this storybook because I love dogs and The Wizard of Oz is a childhood classic. Toto the terrier was probably the first dog I ever saw on television! My late grandpa also used to have a Rottweiler named Toto after this famous character, so this brought me memories of him and his sweet companion as well. It was very entertaining to see the story of The Wizard of Oz from Toto's perspective, as I sometimes try to picture my own dog's daily life through his. 

Image from Toto's Adventures in Oz.
Source: The Cyclone to Oz.

Comments

  1. You picked some of my favorites here too, Julia! And maybe you could make your dog part of a project for this class, or use him to write some of your stories. If you are looking for stories about dogs (in addition to the adorable Toto), there are some very famous dogs in Aesop's fables, so you might want to give those a try as one of your Classical reading choices coming up in Weeks 3 and 4. And of course there are lots of wonderful dog legends from all over the world!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts